Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mother Guilt

I recently recieved a note from my oldest child stating that I had destroyed both his Easter and Birthday because I grounded him to his room.  I am not sure how the destruction of said holidays correlates with his grounding but, okay.  He also used my Christian name.  I believed his exact words were, "You have destroyed both Easter and my birthday, Candice."  It is funny now, but at the time, I wondered what terrible mistake I had made as a mother to make my 9 year old write such a hateful note.  Then, about a day later, I remembered my 9 year old is a Drama King.  It still stings, but maybe nothing for me to feel guilty over.

Thats the thing about motherhood though, guilt is an emotion you are quickly introduced to.  I guess because, as mothers we want their lives to be pain free.  We want them to get good grades, make lots of friends.  We don't ever want bullies to be mean to them.  We don't ever want them to be bullies.  We want a perfect life for our children.  And when the inevitable happens, we feel guilty that we were unable to offer them perfection.  At least I do.

Other guilt ridden moments this week:
1. My Cael in an effort to make me feel better about not being "cuddly" as his dad said, "Its probably just because your not around as much."  Thanks Cael.
2. My school children, Jaden and Cael, both cried for me to homeschool them like last year because their teachers are "mean".  How quickly they forget how mean I was.
3. Owen, my 5 year, old asked me why we never eat dinner as a family? BECAUSE WE ARE NEVER HOME AND I HATE IT.

There are more, there are always more.  You would think after four kids, I'd be over it.

Jaden (Left) and Cael giving each other a hard time.


2 comments:

  1. You get those notes too? Well, Ty normally get mad and then writes me a note to apologize after I ground myself to my room b/c I am upset with her. Silly kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved getting notes from my students saying that I am the nicest teacher they ever had. However once in a while I found a little note in their desk saying I was mean. I felt guilty for both notes. Am I too nice as a teacher, am I not strict enough? Was I too mean, was that consequence too extreme? :)
    That's when I know I love and care about my kids because I reflect on my own behavior.

    ReplyDelete