Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Important

This week I have soothed a crying baby, oh I don't know maybe a hundred times.  I have changed about 50 diapars.  I have done 10 loads of laundry. Well I have done them half way, as I never fold the clothes.  I take them out of the dryer and make a huge clean laundry pile.  But thats besides the point.  I have settled several sibbling squables. It felt like several hundred.  I have made dinner.  I have bought dinner at Del Taco.  I could go on. 

But the point is, I do the same sorts of things every week, every month, every year.  It is all rather routine, rather mundane. Sometimes I get frustrated with it all.  I have friends who are doing great things with their lives; missionaries to Africa and such.  And frankly, I am a little jealous. I want to do something important. 
I wonder if Mary ever felt that way.  I wonder if she was ever rocking a crying Baby Jesus thinking of all the things she couldn't do with a baby in tow. I wonder if she wiped the tears from his eyes when he skinned his knee and thought, "this is so not a big deal, I could be out saving the world."  Did the mother of our Savior ever feel her job was unimportant?  I hope not.
And so I am humbled.  Not that my children are perfect, or that I am as blessed as Mary, but I am humbled because God has given me the opportunity to raise world-changers. I know there are many great men and women who would not be so great if they did not have a mother to love and teach them, to care for and admonish them.
Next time I have to settle a dispute between siblings, I will remember that perhaps I am raising foreign ambassadors or diplomats.  Next time I am trying for the millionth time to teach my five year old his alphabet, I will remember that maybe I am raising a great scholar.  Next time I have a conversation with my 8 year old about faith, I will remember that I may be raising a great theologian.  Next time I have to rock my crying baby instead of taking part in an adult discussion, I will remember that one day my baby will grow up, and know that he is loved, and have the courage to change the world.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Candice! Well said. :) There is no other person who can communicate God's love to a child as well as a mother--that is life-changing in my book! Your children are blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Candice...really powerful and beautiful. Sometimes it's so easy to loose perspective that we as wives and moms have such an important job. I needed this encouragement and reminder today. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete